Monday, January 18, 2010

Craziness

Have you ever wished your life wasn't crazy? Who knows? Maybe your life isn't crazy as mine. It seems like there is never a dull moment.

Take today for instance. A simple day. The boys didn't have school. Should have been cake, right? Well, it was...right up until the point where...it wasn't.

Michael, Ryan and Jaron spent the night at a friend's house last night, so in theory, I should have been able to get to work early and get lots accomplished. Of course, that didn't take into account the two back to back basketball practices, but we had a plan. Michael was able to get Ryan to practice without a hitch. I was planning to come home at lunch and make the transition of Jaron from Michael to Ryan and go right back to work to finish my day. What our plan did not include was the call that I received from Michael just after dropping Ryan and Jaron off at home.

It seems that he took an elbow to the mouth. In the process, he bit his tongue. Not just any bite. A nasty bite. I ended up in the emergency room for several hours waiting for Michael to get 3 stitches in his tongue. Numerous times it was pointed out that normally they don't do stitches in the tongue, but Michael needed stitches in his tongue. So, instead of a normal day at work, I spent a partial day at work, a partial day in the ER, and now, I am behind. Oh, and it doesn't stop there, I get to take more time off tomorrow to go to the orthodontist and find out if there is damage to his permanent retainer or teeth.

This may sound like I am not a caring mom, and that isn't the true. I love my kids, and I wouldn't have been anywhere else but that ER today. It is just another instance of the craziness that is my life. If it's weird, odd, out of control, or unexpected, it will most likely happen to some member of my family. Apparently, that is just the way we roll. :)

I am sure there is probably some deep Biblical insight that I could gain from further reflection, but to be honest, it's just not coming to me. What does come to me (with a little help from a search engine) is God's promises that He is always with me.

The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Psalm 118:14

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Even amidst the craziness of my life, God is always stable. He is the rock that holds me together in the chaos of trips to the emergency room, and stitches, and other oddities of life. He is is the peace amidst the storm.

And I am thankful...not so much for the craziness...but for the promise that I will never face the craziness of my life alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment