Tuesday, April 17, 2018

sNOw JUST sNOw

This morning I was greeted with snow. What started with just a few flurries soon turned into what looked to be a blizzard in the making.  Thankfully, we only got a light dusting - which would be fun in late NOVEMBER but it's APRIL.

I am a beach girl to the core, but I do like the way the sun sparkles on new snow - in WINTER. I love watching the snow fall sitting next to the fireplace and the lighted tree at CHRISTMAS.  Watching the snow fall outside my window in APRIL - NO JUST NO.

I struggle with a Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I am not sure if it is a coincidence that the abbreviation is SAD, but it is convenient.  I struggle when there is no sun.  I lack motivation and I am ... sad.

Maybe that is why I am a beach girl at heart.  I know there are beaches where they have winter, but I have never been to one.  I associate beaches with sunshine, warmth and the soothing crash of the waves.  (Yes, I know they have hurricanes as well, but not in my fantasy beach world.) 

In fairness, we haven't had a lot of snow this winter.  It has mostly just been cloudy and rainy.  I got through it thinking that Spring would be coming.  I am starting to doubt it.  The forecast for our area is calling for possible snow again on Thursday.

I know that we are blessed when it comes to snow.  I live in Indiana.  Minnesotans scoff at what we call a lot of snow.  I am sure numerous Canadians and Alaskans do as well.  I am aware that Lynchburg, VA, was hit with a tornado this week, and even Hawaii, considered one of the most beautiful places in the world, is dealing with flooding.  I have no right to be sad over a little snow.

Ironically, I will just have to remind myself once again of the words of King Solomon - for everything there is a season.  Hopefully soon, though, I will be thinking about another quote, this time from Song of Solomon:

For behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone.  The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. Song of Solomon 2:11-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment