Thursday, April 19, 2018

Two Stoplights

Perception is everything, or so it seems. We've all seen fabulous photographs on Facebook or social media that we later find out were just a trick of lighting, a well placed camera angle or a beautiful job of PhotoShop. Even in communication, it is not so much what you say as what others perceive you said that matters most.

I was thinking about this today as I drove to my church. I live approximately 12 miles from there, and the time to make the trip ranges from 17-23 minutes (according to Google Maps). I was excited to realize this morning that one of the routes I take only has two stoplights! The distance didn't change. The amount of time it takes me to travel that route didn't change.  My perception changed. That has to be the best route because it has only two stop lights!

I was reminded of a friend. We met in MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). She had moved here from the Washington DC area, and I had moved here from Dayton area. Fort Wayne is a relatively small town. Although it is the second largest city in Indiana, compared to the likes of NYC, or Los Angeles, we are a small town. In fact we are 74th on the list of largest cities in the US.

My friend, who lived "on the other side of Fort Wayne", shared with me that a lot of her friends in MOPS wouldn't do things on her side of town because she lived "so far away." We laughed about it because where we came from it wasn't unusual for it to be a 20-30 minute drive to get to just about anywhere due to distance and traffic.

How often do we miss out on building that great relationship, or attending that party, or going to that concert because it is just too far away? Don't get me wrong. I realize there are times when distance and cost to travel can be a hindrance. I've been there. I also realize, though, that we often are able to do things that we consider a priority, even when it may be a bit more difficult, because of the perceived value.

My friend and I did lose touch after MOPS. It wasn't because she lived too far away. It was because our kids grew up and were involved in different things. Still, I was one of the people her husband called when she passed away a few years ago. She was my friend because I didn't let a few miles keep me from doing life with her while I could.

My challenge for today is take the extra effort to visit that friend. Buy those tickets for Disney on Ice and make a memory with your child. Invest in the lives of those around you, because you never know when you might not have that opportunity. Children grow. Friends truly do move a long way away. Ultimately, people pass away. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow. Please don't let a couple of stop lights keep you from the blessings that are only a few miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment