Sunday, October 24, 2010

Finding Staci

Did you ever have a time when things did not go according to plan? Or should I say, YOUR plan? That is kind of where I have been this weekend. It began as a busy, albeit, fun weekend and ended with a fun, albeit, very different weekend than originally anticipated.

It has been good, though. We had a couple of events cancelled or changed due to various circumstances, but because of those cancellations, we were able to do other things that we had not been able to do in awhile. For instance, we had a date night, and we were able to have a spur of the moment get together with friends that we had not seen in awhile. Even today, we were able to go out to lunch with another family that we had not seen in what feels like forever because they popped up at our church service. It has been a great weekend.

The amazing thing about it is, although I have been busy, I have had down time. And, only once have I felt the pull of the to-do list. This is huge.

Our pastor of adult ministries spoke this morning. He was sharing the many ways that we can knock God off of the throne of our lives and replace Him with something that revolves around us. It was kind of painful. It seemed like I could relate with most of the objects he presented - not so much the Twilight...or da Bears...but most - and that is NOT a good thing.

What is good is that I had already recognized some of the traps that I had fallen into and had begun to make changes to break free. That was very encouraging to me.

There is an old hymn that proclaims "I stand amazed in the presence..." That is exactly how I have felt this weekend. As I have stepped back, honored the boundaries that I have set and have been set for me, I have been amazed at the peace that I have had. The to-do list is still there; and this looks to be a busy week at work, but I can look at it as something I do and not who I am. (I am sure that some prayers have been answered with that realization. :) )

It seems like I have gotten lost a lot lately, and it's frustrating. I want to be the woman of God that He has called me to be and yet I am so easily led off course. So easily distracted by the noise. The cool thing is, as I do get off course, and as I try to do it all on my own, and as I lose myself in the parts of me that God is still working on, there is a verse that I can always count on.

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

He is my shepherd. He won't let me get so lost that I cannot be found. He will gently, or not so gently, take His staff and bring me back to His arms where I am safe. I love that.

No, this weekend didn't go according to MY plan, but I believe that it went according to His. I am looking forward to rescheduling those missed events, but I am confident that the peace I am feeling today is a direct result of the shepherd. I was lost, and I may still be a little lost, but I have found my shepherd, and He is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment