Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Great Questions of Life

Have you ever taken time to ponder the questions of life? There are many. Who decided what the appropriate height and weight proportions are for the perfect body? What is the point of diet caffeine free Mt. Dew? Where did that lady at Bible study get those awesome boots? Why are there polar bears on a tropical island? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? On a more serious note, there are questions such as, what is the meaning of life? Why does God allow suffering? When will Christ return? What will Heaven be like?

There are a ton of questions that beg for answers, but the one that most often plagues me, and the point of this post is, "When will I ever learn?"

I almost entitled this post "too much of a good thing." I have seriously over committed myself - again - and it isn't just for a one week time frame. Many of my commitments are long term, or at least relatively long term. Let me give you a sampling of this past week. Last Wednesday I started the second half of my Beth Moore Bible study on Daniel. On Thursday, I packed my office and moved most of the boxes to the new office location. On Friday, we packed and moved all the furniture to the new office. On Saturday, I spent the entire day at work setting up my new area. Saturday night was Intro, a newcomer's opportunity at our church that our staff is encouraged to attend. Sunday was church. Monday I started a four-week photography class. Tuesday is our regular small group night. That brings us full circle to today, which was Bible study, and tomorrow my son has his first indoor soccer game, and Friday I am kicking off my Project Life album with a get together with friends. Wow. Even my fingers are tired.

Granted, the move was a one time thing (thankfully), and Intro is only periodic, but the Bible study, the small group, the photography class, and the soccer season are relatively long term. And, starting in a few weeks, Jay and I are planning to do a 13-week class on finance.

I would venture to say that all of these things are good things. We love our small group. This is my first ever Beth Moore Bible study. I am learning a lot and making new friends. The soon to be monthly scrapbooking events and the photography class are fun. And I love watching my kids participate in extra-curricular activities. But I will be honest, I am exhausted.

I know that in reality, I probably need to make some hard choices, but it is difficult (hence "hard" part). Each of my activities serves a different purpose. The problem is, when all those good things happen at the same time it is overwhelming - especially when you factor in work and other responsibilities like being a good wife and mom.

The next few weeks are going to be crazy, without a doubt. There will be a lot of driving, and a lot of homework, and a lot of quick and easy meals. But there will also be a lot of laughs, a lot of great conversations and a lot of spiritual growth.

The crazy schedule? It's a season. Unfortunately, it seems like in my life the "crazy schedule" season for me is as regular as football season, basketball season or the ever popular construction barrel season in the Midwest.

When will I learn? Hopefully soon. Although I love the positives shared above, this girl needs a little down time. I can feel myself headed for survival mode, and that is not a place I want to be. In survival mode, I put up walls and barriers and tend to revert to old patterns of thought and coping mechanisms. It's like constant fight or flight, and I have come too far for that.

So for now, I am taking one day at a time. In doing so, maybe I will finally be able to answer one of the great questions of life. And, hopefully my answer will not involve a Tootsie Pop.

2 comments:

  1. If you keep up that pace, licking a Tootsie Pop maybe the only thing you can do! I am exhausted reading your post. Right now I am reading having a Mary Heart in a Martha World and let's just say....WOW!!! As exhausted as I am reading your post, I think you are a very good writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, staci. I'm amazed again how much we have in common. This is the story of my life. Overcommitting, then shutting down and canceling everything and then overcommitting again. I will be praying for you during this season of your life and that you can keep up the strength and energy for all of this.

    ReplyDelete