Friday, January 7, 2011

Missing Break

Today is January 7th - officially one week into the new year. So far, MOST of the New Year's resolutions are still in tact. There was one humorous incident that involved a work related resolution, but we won't go there...

I have to admit that I got a little spoiled over the holidays. Our offices were closed for several days over Christmas and New Year. It was nice to have a break, but the bestest part was that I got to read...a lot.

I am not sure why, but I think I have always loved to read. I can almost picture the library in my elementary school, and one of only a few flashbacks of high school involves looking for books in the library. My senior year of college, my course load included 19 novels. (That was NOT a fun semester.) And yet, I don't consider myself well read.

Maybe it is because I am not a big fan of adult fiction. I tend to lean toward teen and tween fiction. I have read the entire Harry Potter Series, but I have only read one Twilight book. I have read several books by Cornelia Funke. I have read Eragon and Eldest, and I started Brisingr a long time ago, but I have not read it yet. I also read a lot of Christian literature, but usually it is either a popular writer or someone that I have heard speak either in person or video.

I have a library card, but I must say that I think I have only checked out a handful of books from there. I am not sure why. I tend to buy the books I read - even though most of them I have only read once. I think there is something about the look and feel of a new book.

And then came my NookColor. I love my NookColor. I mean really love it. I have an entire bookstore at my fingertips! With just a click of a button, I can download any book that catches my interest, and I can carry as many as I want IN MY PURSE without worrying about damaging them and no matter how many books I carry at one time, they will always weigh the same! How COOL is that? :) Just a little excited. Sorry.

Over break my Nook and I had a lot of bonding time, and I loved it. I felt like I was growing as a Christian through the books I was reading and I enjoyed the time just being quiet. Now that break is over, I am finding it more difficult to find time to read. Part of it is schedule, but part of it is also that I have other things that are calling for my attention - this blog for instance, and decluttering my house - which is always a new year's resolution of mine. I miss my reading time.

So if my blog posts are a bit delayed in coming, I apologize. It's difficult when two of your favorite things to do to are read and write. They are a bit mutually exclusive. I guess as with everything there is a balance, but I have to be honest, I am looking forward to my next day off... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment