Monday, March 21, 2011

The Writer Within

To the best of my knowledge I have always loved to read. Many of my most vivid memories from elementary and high school involve the library, and most of the time growing up - when I wasn't rearranging my room - I was reading - or watching Dallas, The Love Boat or Fantasy Island - but we'll leave that for another post. :)

The point is, I have always been a fan of the written word and writing. I took every English class offered at my high school and ultimately graduated from college with a degree in English. I typically don't read - I devour books. When I was bored growing up, I not only taught my left-handed self not to twist my wrist around and write from the top, but I would practice writing my letters over and over until I found a handwriting style that I liked. In fact, one of my current hobbies is annoying my children by forcing them to write in cursive whenever I can because apparently cursive hand writing is becoming a lost art. I think I am going to lose that battle.

In May of 2009, I started this blog. It was actually my second attempt. (I honestly don't remember the first one, but I did in May of 2009 because I referenced it in my first post. Anyway...) I really started it for me. I wanted a place where I could process and where I could just be me. No pretense. A place where I could share my thoughts without fear of rejection. I didn't know if anyone would actually read it, but I felt very trendy doing the blog thing.

This blog has also been sporadic at times, but it has become my friend. We have been through lots of struggles together. We have been to Serbia together. We have wept with friends together. It has been an outlet for thoughts and emotions, as well as, a place where God has intervened and set my mind back on track on more than one occasion. It has been the outlet for my secret passion - writing.

Yesterday my blogging world took a little turn. Eric asked if I would be willing to be a contributor to Journey Together, a blog that has been created to showcase various ministries and activities within our church. My first post, a weekend wrap-up entitled The Power of Our Words, went live yesterday complete with picture and by-line. My first contribution. Now granted, it is for my church, and it was not a paid contribution, but it WILL be read by more than my immediate friends and family. It was kind of a big deal for me.

I am excited about this new opportunity. It is yet another outlet where I can use my gifts and talents to serve the One who gave me those gifts and talents. Writing, like reading, is something that comes naturally to me, and I love that I get to use that gift in my ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment