Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Southern Girl at Heart

I am currently sitting at one of my favorite places on earth. The kids have already trashed our room, but I am surrounded by two young palm trees with the wind gently blowing through their leaves. The patio is currently shaded, but I can see the sun reflecting on the little, tiny bit of the lake I can see on the golf course behind the tree row that borders the property. That is the only thing that isn’t quite perfect. I would love to have just a bit better view of the lake, but I think this is good. I want this week to be a time of reflection, and the tree line is still beautiful and adds a sense of intimacy to my little journaling spot.

As we travelled down here, I was reminded of something I already knew. I am a southern girl at heart. I don’t really know how that happened. I was born and raised in central Indiana. I did travel to Florida a lot with my grandparents when I was little. Maybe that is it, but I don’t really think that being a southern girl is something that is learned. I think it is just something that…is. I love Florida. I love the oceans and palm trees and beautiful weather, but I also love Tennessee with the mountains and beautiful vistas. I love southern hospitality. I love southern accents. I love being able to get outside - and that is saying something because in Indiana, I am not known as an outside kind of girl.

I am sure that I have romanticized some of it. I mean even the people who work at Disney World have real lives outside of the park. They are busy with kids’ schedules, and grocery shopping and laundry. They get sick, and they have relationship and security issues. But, for me, all that is better in the south. In fact, I had a great time shopping at Publix a few minutes ago. :) (Maybe it was coming out into the sunshine and palm tree dotted parking lot that made it better.)

I am looking forward to this week. For me, it’s not just about the fun things that we will do as a family, it is more about me taking some time away to and sort through some things that I have been struggling with. I hear home is the best place to rest, rejuvenate and grow; and if home is where the heart is, I am definitely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment