Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Amusing God

Sometimes I don’t have a clue as to my purpose in life. Is it to be the best wife and mother that I can be? Is it to be the best administrative assistant in the world? Is it to make a difference for Christ? Today, I think I figured it out. My sole purpose in this life is to amuse God.

Let me give you an example. I recently started attending a study called “A Woman After God’s Own Heart,” and I keep missing it. Not the study – although I missed it this week – I keep missing the big picture. I say things like “Yes, Lord, but…” How crazy is that? I am telling the God of the universe who created me and everything in all creation that I know more about what is best for me than He does – that my plan is better than His. That’s craziness.

I have heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result, and yet I do that regularly in my walk with Christ. I make the same mistakes over and over, and yet I think I am going to grow in my faith. Very patiently, God watches my vain attempts and chuckles.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think He is chuckling in a “wow, you’re stupid” sort of way. I think He chuckles in an “I can’t wait to see her joy when she gets it” sort of way – an “I wish she could see what she is missing” sort of way.

You see, I know that God loves me through all of my insanity. He is watching me grow, and He takes joy in each of my baby steps toward submission. He chuckled when I said I wasn’t contemplating a mission trip this summer, because He knew that I would. I am sure He laughed out loud when I said there was no way I would go to Serbia, because He knew that not only would I go, I would be excited about it. I think He is chuckling even now as I am looking at the details and getting caught up in the totally unimportant. I don’t know why He is chuckling – yet – but I will, and I can’t wait, because, each time God chuckles, I learn something more about His love for me. And, it is in those chuckles that I grow.

Thought to ponder: If my purpose in life is to amuse God, and I am very good at that, does that mean I am already a woman after God’s own heart? I sure hope so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment