Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Most Wonderful Day of the Year

This is my favorite time of the year. I love Christmas with all the pretty decorations and the opportunities to see the smiles of friends and family members. I love giving gifts and blessing others. But, very soon, it will be my absolutest, most favorite, bestest day of the year. January 1st.

It has been said, in this blog and in many offices and households which I frequent, that I am a perfectionist. I will grant you that this is not always a compliment, but overall, for better or worse, I have to own it. And there is something about January 1st that makes the perfectionist in me giddy (is that spelled right? Anyway...).

I spent today doing end of the year stuff in my office. I filed some finished projects, printed the end of the year budget report, created some new files for next year, and basically got my office cleaned up in readiness for the new year. It is my hope to do something similar tonight and tomorrow to my house...and my car. It's time to start anew.

I even gave this blog a new look!

2011 will also be the beginning of a new project for me. Becky Higgins' Project Life. Project life is basically a scrapbooker's dream and an OCD, photo-a-holic's nightmare. The goal is to take a picture a day documenting your every day life. You then use a very cool, color coordinated album kit to organize your photos with appropriate journaling tags, dividers, and so forth. By the end of the year, you have a (rather large) completed scrapbook of things that are important to you that you probably wouldn't have taken the time to scrapbook if it weren't for the project. I can't wait to see how it turns out. And, I can't wait to get together on a regular basis with several friends who are also doing Project Life.

I know that once 2011 has started, things will pretty much be the same as they are now, but there is something about the first day of a new year that reminds me that things can change. I don't think I am alone in that either. If I were, there wouldn't be millions of resolutions made on the first that probably will not make it until thirty-first.

So, in keeping with the spirit of the awesomest, bestest day in the whole wide world, here is my list of resolutions for the new year. :)

  1. I will complete my Project Life album.
  2. I will not freak out the first time I realize I forgot to take a Project Life picture on a given day.
  3. On a similar note, I will not get out of bed for the sole purpose of taking a picture so that I do not miss a day of Project Life.
  4. I will read at least two books a month.
  5. I will actively participate in the Scripture Memory Challenge with the women's ministry at my church.
  6. I will keep my car cleaned out enough that I can drive my friends to lunch on any given day without embarrassment.
  7. I will finish my Serbia scrapbook.
  8. I will finish the journaling and get my box of partially completed pages in a scrapbook.
  9. I will get my children's scrapbooks caught up to their current year of school.
  10. I will endeavor to schedule at least 12 family/couples/friends get-togethers - just for fun.
and on a more traditional note:

11. I will work toward having a more consistent, focused quiet time.
12. I will lose weight. (Goal is set, but will not be disclosed on this blog until it has been achieved.)

So there you have it. These 12 goals, along with continuing to work through personal issues while maintaining a positive attitude and strengthening my faith, and dozen or so other home and work related resolutions are the hot spots for 2011.

Even as I write this, a scripture verse is running through my mind...

In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the LORD establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9 NIV

There were many things in 2010 that did not go according to my plan, and there were many resolutions broken, but I also know that I would not change where God has taken me throughout this year. I am most excited to see where He will lead me in 2011. I hope that you will walk with me on that journey. :)

2 comments:

  1. How fun that you are doing Project Life! Which kit did you order? I am using the turquoise one, and have it set up to start for 2011! I will try not to get stressed when I get behind, as well. I have never done a yearly album, and am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci,
    I think we have a lot in common :) So many of your words in this post apply to me.

    Also, I'm super excited to be doing Project Life with all of you!! We will have something new and exciting to discuss in the office each week!!

    ReplyDelete