Thursday, June 9, 2011

A First

Today is a rather unusual day for me. I am taking a "personal day". It's not a vacation day -not a sick day - not a day so that I can attend a field trip or stay home with a sick child. I am taking a mental health day.

I will admit that I feel a tinge of guilt for slacking. I have things in my "to do" basket at work and e-mails to get out, but yesterday I felt like I hit a wall. I knew it...and others picked up on it too. (It's been awhile since I've had to own up to being a hammer. :) ) Anyway, I felt like a "donkey on the edge", but instead of Donkey, I was feeling more like Eeyore.

I had let my responsibilities as a wife, mother, employee and friend - added my chronic pain and fatigue - drain me of my peace. I had done it. Overloaded schedules abound, and (although I have been doing better) I haven't been doing a very good job of sitting at the Master's feet and resting in His peace.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
Isaiah 26:3

I am not sure where I came across this verse this year, but it seems to be an underlying theme in my life right now. It has appeared in almost every book I have read, and it seems every speaker I listen to has referenced it. I am thinking God may be trying to tell me something. :)

So today, I am going to step back and ask God to replenish my spirit. My life runs hot - hotter than I would like at times - and because of that I have to be sure that the things that I put my energy too are life sustaining. Sometimes that decision is one of better vs. best because often all the things set before me are good. I just need to step back...and breathe...and follow. Follow the one who leads beside the still waters, refreshes my soul and guides me along right paths.

Today is one of those days, and I'll be honest. I am loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment