Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Ministry Assistant

I have been given a very special gift. I have the privilege of serving as a ministry assistant at my church.

For some this may not be a big deal, but it is huge for me. You see, when I was a little girl, even before I was a Christian, I thought it would be cool to work at a church. My aunt was the church secretary, and I was totally convinced she had the best job in the world.

Fast forward to a few years ago when my husband and I started attending a new church. We got involved early on with children's ministry which, for me, led to connections that would allow me to volunteer one day a week in the office as a receptionist which led to a volunteer ministry assistant position which later became a paid opportunity. I hadn't really thought about my aunt when it all began, but when it all became "official," I realized that God had granted me the desire of my heart.

One thing that I honestly wasn't prepared for was the relational aspect that has developed over the last few years. That probably sounds a little weird since Christianity is totally based on relationships, but it is far different than I could have ever imagined.

First of all, I don't serve a thing - a ministry. I can't even wrap my head around how that would work. I serve God first, my ministry leaders second and ultimately the people of Pathway. A thing you can be objective about, disconnect from. It's a whole lot harder with people. At least it is for me.

Another thing that makes it very different is that these people aren't just people - they are family. We have shared the joys of engagements and weddings and babies and people accepting the gift of salvation. We have also experienced the heartache of the loss of babies, divorce, the death of friends, saying good-bye to those God has called to other ministries. As a staff, we have experienced these things together - been there for each other. And we do this every day. Unless you have experienced it, I don't think you can understand. I know I certainly didn't.

And, as with any family, there are those difficult times too. We get on each others nerves and get frustrated with each other and even hurt each other at times. Can't really say I was prepared for that either, but I have come to realize that is part of the cost of being close.

As a ministry assistant, I get to devote my time, talent and treasure to doing what I love to do - serving in ministry - but it is also a place of vulnerability...at least for me. And, vulnerability can be a very scary place. I think that is another cost, and definitely one that I was not prepared for. I am still not, but I am learning (slowly) that with vulnerability comes authenticity, and authenticity is always good. Without it there is no integrity, and I am all about integrity.

To me, being a ministry assistant isn't a job. It is a blessing that I don't take lightly. It is a gift, a very special gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment