Thursday, August 11, 2011

Burdened

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28

I have read this verse hundreds of times, quoted it, and even thought I understood what it meant, but as I read it today, I have a new appreciation for it as it came to life in a new way.

My husband woke up last night to my youngest son having a seizure. This is only the second one that he has ever had and makes for two too many. We are going to schedule some further testing, but today, he is our happy little boy again, and all is right with his world.

My world, on the other hand, has been shaken once again. This time by something far more important than the struggles of recent weeks. After the initial scare was over, and as I look at everything on my plate, I am tempted to ask God if I needed just one more thing. But, then I remembered that God isn't surprised by any of this. He knows exactly what He is doing and how He is orchestrating the events in my life and how they are working together to draw me into a deeper relationship with Him.

I can't imagine being God. I am the mother of three, and sometimes I don't know which direction anyone is going, and yet God orchestrates the events in every person in the world, and every event in nature, to work a plan of ultimate good. What seems like a crazy detour for us is ultimately part of God's plan. I can't even wrap my arms around how that happens. And yet, I don't have to. I am really not even supposed to.

God promises that He will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in Him. (Isaiah 26:3) He doesn't promise that craziness won't come. If there wasn't craziness there would be no need to be steadfast.

It is sometimes hard to claim Old Testament promises, especially in the midst of a storm, because they were typically given to specific people in specific circumstances. But we know that God is God. He is unchanging. That gives us hope as we hold on to promises like, "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Deuteronomy 31:8)

The past few weeks, I have been afraid AND discouraged. But today, I am going to trust in the promise that I can go to Him weary and burdened, and He will give me the rest that I so desperately need. That if I allow Him to lead me (take His yoke) and allow Him to teach me through my circumstances, that He will be gentle with me because He loves me and wants me to be okay. I will trust that even though I will still have to maneuver the obstacles before me, my part of the burden will be light because I will be sharing the yoke with the one who already knows the way and is way stronger to face those trials than I am.

I am thankful today for God's promises - old and new, and I am thankful that I can trust Him to always be faithful even when I forget.

My God is amazing.

1 comment: