Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Anxious

Have you ever thought you were doing one thing and then God showed up and did something totally different? That pretty much sums up what happened to me tonight. What started as a parent meeting for my sons' youth group turned into a personal time of devotion for me - and the youth pastor had no idea.


As he was sharing about what he will be teaching the kids over the course of the year, he said in a side note that the word "anxious" comes from two words meaning "divided mind". Those two words - divided mind - nailed where I am right now. And, of course, those ever popular Philippians 4 verses popped into my head: 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your minds in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7


Do not have a "divided mind." How often have I used the words "I am torn between" or something similar. But God says not to have a divided mind.  He wants us to tell Him about our situation, seek His intervention, thank Him for His love and concern for us, and share our heart.


Don't get me wrong.  I don't believe that God is a cosmic Santa Claus, but I do believe that He wants us to be honest with Him.  He knows what we want anyway. But, I believe the second part of the verse brings an even bigger promise than that.


We will have a peace that we cannot explain that will guard our hearts as long as we allow Him to lead. To guard means "to protect." There is SO much comfort in that! 


I have been a Christian for a long time, and I am certain that I have heard numerous sermons on these verses - and I might have even heard that anxious means "divided mind," but apparently I wasn't listening. I have never understood it as I did tonight in that youth room.


Once again, God showed up and showed off when I least expected it and reminded me that I am not alone.  Love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment